Wednesday, September 16, 2009

IM Wisconsin

headed down to transition area around 4:30, put my nutrition on the bike checked tire pressure, finalized preparations and made a couple bathroom stops before making my way down to the swim entrance.

Sara's family was out to support her, and i would ride her skirt tails in and enjoy their cheers of encouragement as well. got in the water around 6:55, and made my way towards the front a bit wide.

The gun went off, and the day's effort was underway. I put in a fair effort for a few hundred meters to work my way up towards the front of the pack and avoid much of the chaos. I settled into a good comfortable pace. The swim was fairly open, not much to mention, very little of the typical ironman battling. I wasn't able to find a pair of feet at all during the first lap. On the second loop i was able to find a pair of feet and enjoyed the benefit of the draft. On a couple of occassions i bridged up to a faster pair of feet. I came out of the water feeling pretty fresh and anxious to get on the bike and see how my back and leg where going to hold up. b pretty typical swim for me.

Transition in Wisconsin is entertaining, we exit the water, run ~150 yards, then proceed up 3 stories on the car ramp to the changing area and bikes. I jogged comfortably up the ramp and into the changing area, put my shoes on, sunscreen, helmet, race number, and off to find my bike. T1 0:6:13

The plan for the bike is to sit back, and hope to avoid the tightness and cramping i had in Canada. Things started out ok, not too crowded, a couple groups of cyclists which i proceeded to work up through. I had just over 2000 calories on the bike, a bit more than in Canada. The course was a suitable course, i sat up on the climbs and kept the effort to a moderate level. I could feel some tightness in my back and leg, but with the help of ibuprofen and some steady pacing i kept this from becoming too problematic. nutrition was good through mile 85 or so, then it became apparent, i was going to run low, so i began grabbing bananas from the aid stations. i heard sara's family several times on the bike course.

I slowed a bit on the 2nd loop (miles 40 - 83) and a bit more from 83 to 112. After completing the 2nd loop (mile 98ish), i made the turn back towards transition, and sat back a bit to let a couple guys ahead of me do the work. After several minutes of this, i decided i could push the pace a bit more, and passed them, i would be alone until mile 105 or so, when 2 other cyclists came around and i hung with them into T2. Bike 5:17:49 (21.14mph).

Transition 2 went pretty smoothly and quickly, we ride up the ramp again. It felt good to get off the bike, and i was ready to see what my legs had left in them. I quickly put my running shoes on, grabbed my nutrition, salt and amino tablets for the run and was out the door. T2 0:2:26

The run, will this be as miserable as 2 weeks prior? not so, i came out feeling pretty good, not going too hard, holding a steady pace with a decent effort, but not all out. I was able to hold this effort for the first 6 or 7 miles then things slowed pretty significantly. My legs got heavy, and i came close to walking a couple of times. Shortly after mile 12, i saw Sara on her way out for her 1st loop. I figured i was roughly 1 mile behind her, and should be able to make that up by mile 18 or so. Things got pretty bad for a bit, i was tempted to walk, and actually did for 10 or 20 yards a couple of times before pushing through it. After getting more food in, and a couple bathroom breaks, i was able to pick up the effort again, and again saw Sara on her way back from one of the out and back's (this is around mile 21).

I decided it's time to go, just over 4 miles to catch her, i quickened my pace, short quick steps, easy gear, 4 miles, just ofer 6km, i can do this. After about 1 mile, i caught another glimpse of Sara, she was definitely closer, so i put in a little extra effort, i caught her between miles 23 and 24 for me. At this point i ran with her for a bit, we walked through the aid station and continued walking to the next aid station. She opted to take a bathroom break, so i wished her well, and began my final push to the finish. Run 4:20:23 (9:56 / mile)

Not my best showing, but i'm definitely content with it under the circumstances, let see if this lights the fire again? I had a good time, and enjoyed most of the race. I was happy i had an opportuntity to run for a bit with Sara, and see her finish. a good race and good time all around.

No comments: