Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spring Sprint

What better way to test my recovery from injury then to have a long slow day followed by a short fast day? Sunday I'd be doing Spring Sprint, on top of testing my achilles, Mike was nice enough to get me a new tri bike - 2011 Felt DA. So i was very anxious to ride it.

I woke early, got my stuff together, and headed to mission bay. racked all my things, and promised myself, this wasn't a race, i was out here to have fun, and see how my achilles was holding up.

SWIM
At the start of the swim, i worked my way up to the front of the starting pack, and swam comfortably hard to the first turn (~ 1/3rd of the swim). I never really found a pair of feet to draft off, which seems to be the way things are going for me these days, i've lost a bit of the drafting ability i once had. this has been added to the list of potential improvements.

The last 100 meters of the swim proved to be a bit tougher then i anticipated, i started a little too hard, and had to dig a bit to remain consistent through the swim. (1:47 min/100m)

T1
Into transition, a pretty liesurely transition, and onto the bike. As i slipped my right foot into my shoe, the pedal came off the spindle. this will make for an interesting ride, not 200m into the 15km ride, and i'm down to 1 pedal . . . sort of.

BIKE
I got my other foot in the shoe, and slid the right pedal back onto the spindle. I would need to be cognizant of this the whole time riding. I wasn't able to apply to much force to the pedals, or my right pedal would come off the spindle again. So i road a consistent bike, a little slow, but steady.  (0:28:25 - 19mph)

T2 - RUN
Back into transition, and another liesurely transition (not as relaxed as the 1st one). I made a slight effort to get in and out quickly. I still hadn't come across mike kelley, i figured i'd have trouble catching him on the bike with my pedal issue, but still held a little hope for it. no such luck, the catch would have to wait until mile 1 of the run.

we chatted briefly, he informed me there were 3 people in front of him. I tried to run with him, but the thought of 3 people ahead proved too much for me to bear.

I increased the pace and started looking, all the while being cautious not ot over exert and injure my achilles. About 200m from the finish line i caught kariem, wished him well on his second lap, and cruised into the finish. (0:20:54 - 6:45min/mile)

All in all it was a good day, some minor setbacks, but none of them had to do with my physical capacities, just equipment malfunctions, perfectly acceptable.

The pulse crew had a great day, lots of representation, a good time for all. another successful training group and pulse outing.

No comments: