Sunday, January 12, 2014

20140112 - week in review

Friday: Boulder Multi-use paths
after a very lax start to the new year, i think i'm ready to start running again, though i'm finding it a bit of a chore when the running doesn't involve trails.  The good news is i have 3 great running buddies, 1 of whom is recovering from a bit of an injury, so I'm not sure how long before he's back to running.  The other two are super fun to run with, and seem to be motivated to get out and enjoy some long runs.

Combine their ambition with their good looks and great personalities, and it's really hard to find any reason not to join them for a run.

Friday was my first run in nearly 2 weeks, and 2 of my 3 running buddies invited me to join them in boulder, how could i resist:

Lacy and Jamie soaking in the sun and the days run

I met up with Lacy in frisco, and then Jamie in dillon before proceeding down to boulder.  It was extremely windy with temps very comfortable for running.  We wound up doing an out and back on several of the multi-use paths around boulder.  It was good to be back out and running, after the past week, i was ready to get back out and do some running.  

Things started out pretty comfortable, and i found myself chomping at the bit again:  I was reminded of running on the roads around san diego, all the runs in those days had a purpose other than exploration and enjoyment.  After a little while i was able to let go of that mentality and settle in and enjoy being outside and moving.  We continued choosing multi-use trails until slightly over 8 miles.

At that point we stopped for a bit of sustenance and to enjoy the view ahead of us before turning around and making our way back to the cars.  About half way back, my legs began to protest.  I had to focus on moving forward and trying to keep pace with Lacy and Jamie.

Jamie seemed to be maintaining extremely well, Lacy looked like she was in my boat, and had slowed a bit too.  Despite the fatigue, i found myself looking at the surrounding mountains longing to be there instead of pounding out the miles on paved multi-use paths.  Then I'd look over to either Jamie or Lacy and smile, good people is top priority, these surroundings are just temporary.

With a couple miles left we stopped to regroup and take some photos

Jamie hamming it up, making me laugh


Lacy forcing a smile:)

The last couple miles were a combination of trying to hold on to Jamie and enjoying the fatigue as it built up within me.  Then out of seemingly nowhere Lacy decides it's time to be done with the jaunt, and a ridiculous quickening of the pace.  I start to smile, and do what i can to keep up, and before long we are done.

Jamie is off to catch a flight, Lacy and i grab some food at whole foods, and make a quick stop at home depot (thanks for being patient Lacy).  Thanks to both Lacy and Jamie for dragging me down to boulder for a fun little jaunt.

Saturday:  Sally Barber mine 
saturday's are usually my social day, i head down to breckenridge and join the VRB (vertical Runner Breckenridge) group and explore some relatively clear trails and good people.

this saturday's vertical runner run is supposed to be a snowshoe run, in my hurry to get out the door, i left my snowshoes by the door.  I manage to arrive a couple minutes before 10 to a group of 5 or 6 cars, and am excited for the group run.  

The cars turn out to be a group of skiers, I ask if this is Sally Barber mine parking lot, they confirm, so back to the truck to wait for Lacy and whomever else will be joining today.  A bit after 10 nobody is there, so i, in my infinite lack of patience, decide to see if there is another parking lot nearby that i'm supposed to be at.

After driving around for a bit and not finding anybody, i return to the original spot and wait another couple minutes before deciding to venture out on my own.  The early sections of trail are packed fairly well from the skiers and i'm able to fake a jog (boy are my legs feeling yesterday).  

There's a bit of an internal discussion about heading back now or carrying on another 1 - 2 miles before turning around.  I continue forward hoping to come across the VRB run and a familiar face.  as the trail turns up, my jog slows and turns to a walk.  I continue climbing for a bit before turning onto a lightly used section of trail.

As i work my way down this section, i periodically stop of tracks and sink almost to my waist.  After a bit of this, i decide to start making my way back to the truck as this trail doesn't look like it will loop back around anytime soon.

On the way back, i find an even less used trail which points pretty much straight down, towards where i believe the original trail and Sally Barber mine should be, so i begin the descent.  After a little while, i pop out at the Sally Barber mine, and turn to head back to the car.  This section of trail is packed pretty solid and is very runnable.

Retrospective:
2 days hardly makes a week of running, but it was enough for my legs,  today is a bit of a reprieve and housework, then back on the trails come monday.

SUMMARY:
Total Time:  3:45
Run Time:    3:45
Distance:      20.47
TSS:            213
Climbing:     1,447'



No comments: