Thursday, October 14, 2010

Imperial Beach triathlon

Swim (500 meters): there was a strong south to north current, the swim was structured with ~100m swim to the west then 300m swim north, then 100m swim back in. i started south of the turn buoy and swam straight, relying on the current to push me to the buoy. this worked well, and i found myself at the 1st turn with some strong swimmers. sometimes racing smart pays. on the south to north leg, several stronger swimmers went by. swimming back in i took advantage of some of the waves, but due to the current, found myself exiting the water a bit farther north then i'd hoped to be. SWIM 0:8:09 (1:38/100m)

T1 : Into t1 i stripped my wetsuit, and ran over to my bike. i saw mike kelley starting on the bike, and victor tello running out of t1 as i got to my bike. i struggled to get my wetsuit past my feet.

Bike (9.3 miles) onto the bike course, i figured i'd just go as hard as i could and see how things panned out. it took a little longer than usual to catch mike kelley (guess his bike is getting stronger). i caught 1 glimpse of victor on the bike course, guess his bike is getting stronger too. i rode pretty well, and came into t2: Bike 0:25:55 (22 mph)

T2 nothing exciting here. i was able to get everything switched out and onto the run to see how my legs would hold up.

Run (3.1 miles): i came out of transition knowing it would be a tough run. i settled into a steady pace early. i ran consistently, trying to focus on my breathing and lean. it was a fun day, a slight re-assurance i was not on my game, and need to put time in if i don't want to suffer so badly. RUN 0:20:04 (6:28 min/mile)

Overall time: 0:54:08.

No comments: